R. N. Uma
B.Sc (Mathematics) University of Madras, Chennai (formerly Madras), India, 1990.
M.E. (Computer Science)
Department of Computer Science & Automation,
Indian Institute of Science,
Bangalore, India, 1994.
Ph.D (Computer Science) Department of
Computer & Information Science, Polytechnic
University (previously known as Brooklyn Poly; currently known as Polytechnic Institute of NYU), Brooklyn, NY, 2000.
Ph.D Thesis: "Theoretical and Experimental
Perspectives on Hard Scheduling Problems"
Prof. Joel Wein.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Science, University of Texas at Dallas, 2000-2005.
- Algorithm Analysis and Data Structures
- Advanced Data Structures and Algorithms
- Discrete Structures
- Recent Advances in Scheduling Theory
- Algorithms for Scheduling and Resource Allocation
with applications to
- wireless and sensor networks
- multimedia networking
- large logistics problems
- fundamental combinatorial models
- MATH 1000: Introductory College Algebra (Fall 2005 & Fall 2006)
- MATH 1100: College Algebra and Trigonometry I (Spring 2006 & Summer 2007)
- COMP 1060: Introduction to Programming: A Multimedia Approach (Fall 2007, Spring 2008 & Fall 2008)
- COMP 1520: Programming II: C++ (Fall 2006)
- COMP/CRJU 2110: Introduction to Computers and their Applications (Spring 2008 & Fall 2008)
- COMP 2810: Data Structures (Fall 2005, Spring 2006, Fall 2006, Spring 2007, Fall 2007, Spring 2008 & Fall 2008)
- COMP 3810: Design and Analysis of Algorithms (Spring 2007)
- COMP 4910: Special Topics: Distributed Systems (Spring 2006)
- COMP 4910: Computer Networks (Spring 2008) (co-taught)
- CISG 5105: Advanced Algorithms and Data Structures (Fall 2007)
Publications (needs to be updated)
"Approximation Bounds for Scheduling Problems under Transportation
Constraints," Ovidiu Daescu, Derek Soeder and R. N. Uma. Proceedings of
the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), September
"An Experimental Study of LP-Based Approximation Algorithms for Scheduling
Problems," Martin W.P.Savelsbergh, R. N. Uma and Joel Wein.
INFORMS Journal on Computing. Accepted August 2003.
(Preliminary version appeared in the Proceedings of the 9th ACM-SIAM Symposium
on Discrete Algorithms, January 1998, pp.453-462.)
"Dynamic Wavelength Assignment for Multicast in All-Optical WDM Networks
to Maximize the Network Capacity," Jianping Wang, Biao Chen and R. N. Uma.
IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications. Volume 21, Issue 8, Oct 2003.
"Clustering of Client-sites in Three-tier Database Architectures,"
Je-Ho Park, Vinay Kanitkar, R. N. Uma and Alex Delis. International Journal
of Cooperative Information Systems, Volume 12, Number 1, March 2003.
(Preliminary version appeared in the Proceedings of the Eleventh IEEE
International Conference on Tools with Artificial Intelligence, November 1999.)
"To Transmit or Not to Transmit: An Investigation Using Competitive
Analysis," R. Chandramouli and R. N. Uma. Proceedings of the IEEE
Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC), March 2003.
" Techniques for Scheduling with Rejection,"
Daniel W. Engels, David R. Karger, Stavros G. Kolliopoulos, Sudipta Sengupta,
R. N. Uma and Joel Wein. Journal of Algorithms, 49, 2003, pp.175-191.
(Preliminary Version appeared in the Proceedings of the 6th Annual European
Symposium on Algorithms, August 1998. Gianfranco Bilardi, Giuseppe F. Italiano,
Andrea Pietracaprina and Geppino Pucci (eds.): Algorithms - ESA '98, LNCS 1461,
Springer: Berlin, 1998, pp. 490-501.)
"An Efficient Scheduling Algorithm for Low Bit Rate Video Streaming,"
Derek Soeder, Siva Somasundaram, K. P. Subbalakshmi and R. N. Uma. Journal
version in preparation. (Preliminary version appeared in Proceedings of the
World Multiconference on Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics (SCI),
"Off-line Admission Control for General Scheduling Problems,"
Cindy A. Phillips, R. N. Uma and Joel Wein. Journal of Scheduling, Volume 3,
Number 6, November-December 2000: Special Issue on Approximation Algorithms
(Part 2). (Preliminary version appeared in the Proceedings of the 11th ACM-SIAM
Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, January 2000.)
On the Relationship between Combinatorial and LP-Based Approaches to NP-hard
Scheduling Problems" , R. N. Uma, Joel Wein and David P. Williamson.
Journal version in preparation. (Preliminary version appeared in the
Proceedings of the 6th International IPCO Conference, June 1998.
R. E. Bixby, E. A. Boyd, and R. Z. Rios-Mercado (eds.): Integer Programming
and Combinatorial Optimization, LNCS 1412, Springer: Berlin, 1998, pp. 394-408.)
"Load-Sharing in Heterogeneous Systems via Weighted Factoring,"
Susan Flynn Hummel, Jeanette P. Schmidt, R. N. Uma and Joel Wein. Proceedings
of the 8th ACM Symposium on Parallel Algorithms and Architectures, June 1996,
Scheduling Research Related Links
Phone: (919) 530 6236
Fax: (919) 530 6125
Department of Mathematics & Computer Science
North Carolina Central University
1801 Fayetteville St.
Durham, NC 27707
Last modified: 4:00 p.m. Nov 24, 2008