|Department of Mathematics and Physics @ North Carolina Central University||
Last update: July 1, 2015
Dr. Kim joined to the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science (now it becomes Department of Mathematics and Physics) at North Carolina Central University, Durham, NC, USA in August 2010. He received Ph.D. degree in computer science from the University of Texas at Dallas, Richardson, TX, USA in May 2010 under the supervisions of Dr. Ding-Zhu Du and Dr. Weili Wu. He received M.S. degree in computer science and engineering from Hanyang University, South Korea in Feb. 2005 under the supervision of Dr. Heekuck Oh and B.S. degree in electronic and computer engineering from Hanyang University, Ansan, South Korea in Feb. 2003. His research interests include (a) Security and Privacy, (b) Internet of Things (IoT) Cloud, Big Data, and Social Computing, (c) Mobile Computing, Robotics, and Cyber Physical Systems, (d) Wireless and Sensor Networking, and (e) Algorithm Design and Analysis.
|Recent News [old news]|
- July 1, 2015: Dr. Kim received a Research Gift of US$ 24,000 from Institute for National Security Strategy, South Korea.
- June 22, 2015: Dr.Kim becomes a co-PI of "Targeted Infusion Project: Development of a Computational and Engineering Mathematics Program Concentration at NCCU" (NSF HRD, PI: Alade O. Tokuta, US$ 263,829, July 1, 2015 - June 30, 2017)
- June 6, 2015: Dr. Kim becomes a TPC member of IEEE 11th International Conference on Mobile Ad-hoc and Sensor Networks (MSN 2015)
- May 18, 2015: Dr. Kim's papers entitled "The First Constant Factor Approximation for Minimum Partial Connected Dominating Set Problem in Bounded Growth Graph" is accepted by Wireless Networks (WINE).
- May 6, 2015: Dr. Kim's papers entitled "Social Relation Based Long-term Vaccine Distribution Planning to Suppress Pandemic" and "Biased Respondent Selection under Limited Budget for Minority Opinion Survey" are accepted by The 4th International Conference on Computational Social Networks (CSoNet 2015), August 4-6, 2015, Beijing, China.
- To Potential Graduate Students: I am currently looking for students intereseted in MS in Computer Science. (stipend + tuition support available)
- To Potential Visiting Scholars: By US government regulation, your English proficiency has to be verified in the form of test score, degree/course certificate, or interview.
|Professional Activities [complete list]|
- Senior Member of Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) (pending approvals)
- Member of IEEE Communication Society (COMSOC)
- Member of Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- Panelist of NSF-CISE-CNS-NeTS (2013)
- Associate Editor of Discrete Mathematics, Algorithms and Applications (DMAA)
- Book Editor of "Recent Advances on Internet of Things and Big Data Integration" (M. Nogueira, D. Kim, Y. Li ed.), IGI Global (pending approval)
- TPC co-Chair of The 9th Annual International Conference on Combinatorial Optimization and Applications (COCOA 2015)
- Organizing Chair of NoF 2015, INISCom 2015, COCOA 2010, ISAAC 2009, COCOA 2009, WASA 2008
- TPC Member of INFOCOM 2016, MSN 2015, INTERNET 2015, ICCEREC 2015, IOV 2015, SC 2015, IPCCC 2015, ICCC 2015 (NGN), BIGCOM 2015, GLOBECOM 2015 (ASN, CISS, SAS-BDN, SAS-GCC, WN), CSoNet 2015, APWiMob 2015, MCV 2015, ICSNC 2015, ICCME 2015, WASA 2015, RAWNET 2015, ICCCN 2015, ICSS 2015, MIMOCR 2015, COCOON 2015, ICC 2015 (NGN, MWN), IOTMS 2014, CSoNet 2014 (3rd), IUCC 2014, ICCVE 2014, SC2 2014, IPCCC 2014, COCOON 2014, IOV 2014, MSN 2014, WMCC 2014, INTERNET 2014, WASA 2014, GLOBECOM 2014 (CRN, CISS, WN, SAS-GCSN, SAS-SSC), CSoNet 2014 (2nd), RAWNET 2014, ICCCN 2014, IMCOM 2014, ICCVE 2013, IPCCC 2013, GLOBECOM 2013 (CRN, WN, SAS-e-Health, SAS-SN), ICCCN 2013, ICUIMC 2013, ISSPIT 2012, MIMOCR 2012, IWSN 2012, CACS 2011, COCOA 2011, COCOON 2011, CACS 2010
- Conference Referee of CyberC 2015, INFOCOM 2015, ICDCS 2014, APWiMob 2014, VTC2014-Spring, INFOCOM 2014, COCOON 2013, INFOCOM 2013, ISIEA 2012, ICUIMC 2012, INFOCOM 2012, ICUIMC 2011, INFOCOM 2011, IPCCC 2010, COCOA 2010, ACC 2010, ISAAC 2009, MASS 2009, WASA 2008
- Session Chair of MSN 2014, CSoNet 2014, ICCCN 2013 (SEP), COCOA 2010
- Journal Referee of ADHOC, AHSWN, Algorithmica, CL, COMNET, CSN, DMAA, ETT, IJAHUC, IJDSN, IJSNET, JCN, JCP, JISE, JICCE, JOCO, JONS, JOTA, JSAC, KAIS, OPTL, SCN, Sensors (MDPI), SENSORS (IEEE), TDSC, TIFS, TC, TCS, TETC, TKDE, TMC, TON, TOSN, TPDS, TSG, TVT, TWC, WCL, WCM, WINE
- Ph.D. Thesis External Reviewer of Freie Universität Berlin, Germany (Mr. Mohammad Fal Sadikin, Fall 2015).
|Selected Top Publications [complete list]|
- Bei Liu, Wei Wang, Donghyun Kim, Deying Li, Jingyi Wang, Alade O. Tokuta, and Yaolin Jiang, "A Simpler Approximation with Better Performance Guarantee for The Minimum 3-connected m-dominating Set Problem in Unit Disk Graph," submitted to IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (ToN). (under a major revision)
- Ling Guo, Deying Li, Yuqing Zhu, and Donghyun Kim, "PTZ Camera Scheduling for Selected Area Coverage in Visual Sensor Networks," Proceedings of The 35th International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS 2015), Jun 29, 2015 - Jul 2, 2015, Columbus, Ohio, USA. (accept rate: 70/543 = 12.89%)
- Wei Wang, Bei Liu, Donghyun Kim, Deying Li, Jingyi Wang, and Yaolin Jiang, "A Better Constant Approximation of Minimum 3-connected m-dominating Set Problem in Unit Disk Graph using Tutte Decomposition," Proceedings of the 34th IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM 2015), April 26-30, 2015, Hong Kong. (accept rate: 316/1,640 = 19.2%)
- Lirong Xue, Donghyun Kim, Yuqing Zhu, Deying Li, Wei Wang, and Alade O. Tokuta, "Multiple Heterogeneous Data Ferry Trajectory Planning in Wireless Sensor Networks," Proceedings of the 33rd IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM 2014), April 27, 2014 - May 2, 2014, Toronto, Canada. [Sllides] (accept rate: 320/1645 = 19.4%)
- Donghyun Kim, R.N. Uma, Baraki H. Abay, Weili Wu, Wei Wang, and Alade O. Tokuta, "Minimum Latency Multiple Data MULE Trajectory Planning in Wireless Sensor Networks," IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing (TMC), vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 838-851, April 2014.
- Wei Wang, Donghyun Kim, Min Kyung An, Wei Gao, Xianyue Li, Zhao Zhang, and Weili Wu, "On Construction of Quality Fault-Tolerant Virtual Backbone in Wireless Networks," IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (TON), vol. 21, issue 5, pp. 1499-1510, October 2013.
- Donghyun Kim, Baraki H. Abay, R.N. Uma, Weili Wu, Wei Wang, and Alade O. Tokuta, "Minimizing Data Collection Latency in Wireless Sensor Network with Multiple Mobile Elements," Proceedings of the 31st IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM 2012), pp. 504-512, March 2012, Orlando, FL, USA. [Slides] (accept rate: 278/1547 = 17.97%)
- Donghyun Kim, Wei Wang, Nassim Sohaee, Changcun Ma, Weili Wu, Wonjun Lee, and Ding-Zhu Du, "Minimum Data Latency Bound k-Sinks Placement Problem in Wireless Sensor Networks," IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (TON), vol. 19, issue 5, pp. 1344-1353, October 2011.
- Donghyun Kim, Zhao Zhang, Xianyue Li, Wei Wang, Weili Wu, and Ding-Zhu Du, "A Better Approximation Algorithm For Computing Connected Dominating Sets in Unit Ball Graphs," IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing (TMC), vol. 9, no. 8, pp. 1108-1118, August 2010.
- Donghyun Kim, Wei Wang, Xianyue Li, Zhao Zhang, and Weili Wu, "A New Constant Factor Approximation for Computing 3-Connected m-Dominating Sets in Homogeneous Wireless Networks," Proceedings of the 29th IEEE Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM 2010), March 15-19, 2010, San Deigo, CA, USA. (accept rate: 276/1575 = 17.52%) - US NSF Student Travel Grant for INFOCOM 2010 (US$1150, competition ratio: 16/91 = 17.582%)
- Donghyun Kim, Yiwei Wu, Yingshu Li, Feng Zou, and Ding-Zhu Du, "Constructing Minimum Connected Dominating Sets with Bounded Diameters in Wireless Networks," IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems (TPDS), vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 147-157, February 2009.